Therapy is an incredibly effective tool for more than one reason. It has been proven to be very effective for patients with anxiety issues, depression, and other mental health conditions. Research shows that therapy helps even those who don’t need any medications. Therapy is of two main types, namely, Traditional Therapy and Online Therapy. Traditional Therapy works on physical grounds, while online therapy or e-therapy, on the other hand, is the delivery of mental health counseling over the internet, the latter being better than just talking to a random stranger online, which is a online therapy service offered by companies like Betterhelp here: https://www.betterhelp.com/start/.
According to Sena Moran, LMHC, “online therapy is also known as teletherapy, online counseling, distance therapy, internet therapy, e-therapy, telehealth, telebehavioral health, email therapy, text therapy, phone counseling.” Experts have proven the effectiveness of online therapy to be a viable alternative to traditional therapy which is more time-consuming comparatively. Here are 11 good reasons why one should give online therapy a try.
- The convenience of communication. With online therapy, it is not necessary for the clients to fix appointments over the phone or personally. They can easily contact the therapist via email and initialize the therapy at any time that is convenient for both the parties.
- The absence of traveling. Clients don’t need to devote their precious time by visiting the counselor’s office. Instead, he can sit back at his own home and initiate the therapy.
- Less expensive. As it is conducted online, traveling charges of both the therapist and the client are eliminated. They only need to be available online in order to communicate. On the therapist’s side, his accommodation charges, capital, and traveling charges are eliminated.
- Suitable for adults and seniors. It is suitable for adults as well as for seniors, pregnant women, and depressed housewives.
- Helpful for people who are in abusive relationships. Online therapy helps people who are in abusive relationships who want to receive therapy without their partners being aware of. They can easily discuss their feelings by sending emails or using other online mediums with the therapist on the other side.
- Anonymity. Individuals who have issues communicating or interacting face to face with the therapists find online therapy more comfortable. For some people, it works well as they are comfortable with their names not being revealed and remain invisible to the therapist.
- Convenient for people with disabilities. Online therapy works best for people having certain disabilities. It is good for individuals who lack vision, are physically retarded or are mentally ill. It is also good for mothers who have to take care of their little children at home, as well as for seniors who are unable to walk or sit for long durations.
- Helps in structuring thoughts. Text based online therapy helps individuals construct their thoughts more sharply. They also get more time to recollect the issues they are experiencing. It helps to enhance the therapy more positively and in a better way. “Therapy doesn’t need to be an arduous never-ending process; however, the length of therapy depends on many factors,” says Nathaniel Cilley, LMHC.
- Flexibility of scheduling appointments. Since online therapy is free from intermediaries and registrations, clients can reschedule or cancel their therapists accordingly. They also don’t have to postpone their plans if they fall sick. Instead, they can go on with it even while resting at their own home.
- Security. Most traditional therapists accept clients 18 or older. They may allow persons below 18 or without parental consent. Security works both ways, so it is better to be intuitive before getting indulged in any therapy.
- Future reference. Emails or chats work as a reference for future discussion and review and is transparent of the treatment. It thereby proves to be very progressive and positive.
Daisy Chow, LPC, NCC once said that “It’s true that therapy isn’t for everyone and it’s not a magic cure. You still must be proactive and be willing to do the work to improve your situation.”
Hence, due to the abovementioned reasons, people can expect online therapies to work wonders. Studies have shown them to be significantly useful for treating various psychological disorders and mental conditions. However, it is important that people only take the services of professionally qualified and certified counselors.